Saturday, April 13, 2013

Elements and Principles in 3D Form

Assignment:
Using limited materials, make four, small scale sculptures.
Choose four definitions from the list below.
Label each sculpture with your name and the definition.

Variety
Focal Point
Texture
Pattern
Rhythm
Scale (contrast between large and small within one sculpture)

Do not represent conventional imagery and symbols.
Do not use text.
Each sculpture should be no larger than the size of your hand, approx.
You do not have to use all materials for each sculpture.  HOWEVER evidence of all materials must appear across all four sculptures.

Materials:
Balsa wood (Cut balsa wood with a utility knife.  DO NOT use an Exacto - the blades are too thin and can snap).
Mask tape (any width)
Clear tape
Straight pins
Wood glue
*Remember, evidence of all materials must appear across all four sculptures.
**Use the wood glue as an adhesive and an element (line, shape, color and/or texture)


Finished Project
Texture: "I dare you!"

Texture: The characteristic visual and tactile quality of the surface of a work of art resulting from the way in which the materials are used.
This was my last as well as favorite piece made from this project. I thought of this by thinking of a tv and how the pictures are right in front of yo, yet you can't reach your hand into the screen and touch it. That is why I created a triangular base first off and then added two pieces of wood on the side kind of like a knob. Next I "sewed" in needles  and then I poured in glue into the middle and dropped scraps of soft balsa wood into it. I did this to create that soft texture like the pictures in a TV and surrounding them by needles to show how we can't quite reach that texture because of the rough, and sharp surface.  

Unity: 

Unity: Oneness of mind, feeling, etc., as among a number of persons; concord, harmony, or agreement.
I wanted to try and use the tools in the wood shop and so I used one of the jigsaws to cut in little grooves out of the wood. I then connected piece by piece from the top down, connecting every piece to each other to unify them all and used the wood glue to do so. Then I poured some of that wood glue on top of the pieces to decorate it a bit more. Thus unifying them while making a staircase that seems like a staircase in a way.  

Focal Point: Wooden Soldier 


Focal Point: the point at which all elements or aspects converge; center of activity or attention: The focal point of our discussion was the need for action.
I took longer skinner pieces of wood and started connecting them with tape and made three legs. Then I connected them to a smaller square base using safety pins. From there I created another small square base exactly like the other and connected it using the pins and made it float above the rest of the body. By doing so, the top square base that's floating creates a negative space in between both squares which creates a focal point in the piece that draws our attention to it. 

Scale: Fishin' for Size 

Scale: Scale in drawing refers to the proportion or ratio that defines the size relationships.  Models, architectural plans, maps and paintings/drawings all use scale to create the illusion of correct size relationships between objects and figures.  
I took different sizes of wood to create a fishing pole type object due to the definition of scale. I connected two pieces of wood with safety pins and then connected extra pieces from earlier projects with tape and wrapped tape around the base of the project. Next I added tape onto the end and connected a small piece of wood with a pin into it. This created scale by connecting a larger piece of wood with a smaller piece, making a huge adjustment in size right next to each other.

Sketches

List # 5: Stuff that interests me

1. Broadway
2. Disney        3. My Boyfriend


List #4: Music I like to listen to
1. Linkin Park 

2. My Chemical Romance <3
3. Awolnation
List #3: People I find Inspiring
1. Gerard Way 
2. Bob Dylan                                               3. Bernini
                             

List #2: Books I want to Read
1. Interview with a Vampire 
2. The Dictionary
3. Bram Stoker's Dracula
List #1: Books I have read
1. Rebecca 
2. Stephen King's "Salem's Lot"                                    3. Harry Potter Series
                                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment