Saturday, April 13, 2013

Memento
 me·men·to [muh-men-toh]

noun, plural me·men·tos, me·men·toes.

1.

an object or item that serves to remind one of a person, past event, etc.; keepsake; souvenir.

2.
anything serving as a reminder or warning.
3.
( initial capital letter, italics  ) Roman Catholic Church . either of two prayers in the canon of the Mass, one for persons living and the other for persons dead.
Origin:
1350–1400; Middle English  < Latin mementō,  imperative of meminisse  to remember
Usage note
Memento  is sometimes spelled momento,  perhaps by association with moment.  The word is actually related to remember.  One of its earliest meanings was “something that serves to warn.” The meaning “souvenir” is a recent development: The stone animal carvings are mementos of our trip to Victoria.



Assignment:
-Make a non-representational sculpture of a memory. For example, a person, place or event. Use no more than three materials.  You may deconstruct and manipulate materials.You can use the same material repeatedly.
-Be aware of the materials you select, methods used to construct and the juxtaposition of the materials. For instance, is it significant for you to weld, stitch, weave or tie any of the materials?
-Remember you are working in three-dimension so be sure to take the time to walk around your piece and/or work on a banning wheel so you can turn piece while working.
-Final solution should be able to fit in the palms of your hands (or two hands).
-****Important - Do not replicate an object. Rather, use elements and principles of design to communicate and/or symbolize the memory.
-Consider line direction. Is your memory taller than you? Could stacking or a tower like construction communicate height? Vast, therefore allowing for a horizontal presentation. Is the landscape (if you have one) of your memory closed in? Open with no boundaries? 
  
Notes: "On Longing" by Susan Stewart
1. "The body is the primary mode of preceding scale."
2. "Capacity of objects to serve as traces of authentic experienced is demonstrated by the souvenir.' The souvenir distinguishes experiences."
3. "The souvenir residues the public, the monumental and the three dimensional into the miniature, that which can be enveloped by the body."
 4. and 5. "The souvenir is used most often to evoke a voulentary memory of childhood."
6. "To have a souvenir of the exotic, is to posses both a specimen and atrophy."
7. "The place of origin must remain unattainable in order for desire to be generated."
8. The function of the souvenir is to envelope the present within the past."

Personal Response to: "Inventory/ The Tokens
I would not like to wear my number and a tag like those babies had to. But I was happy to read that all children were accepted rather than being left out. Their tags were quite decorated though especially the ones in shapes of objects such as the heart and fish. Those tokens however, were more of a way of telling them apart rather than that of a memory, even though the mothers gave them to them as a parting type gift. I don't feel that they are representational due to this. Rather they are just there for the children to be tagged. That is why I wanted mine to be more representational and actually go with my memory unlike these.
Finished Project





Explanation: This whole Memento was based off of my first meeting with my boyfriend before we started dating. We had met in a haunted house where both of us played characters in that haunted house, me: michael myers him: Jason. Most of my memories about that night include the actual building and colors involved within the haunted house. It was held in the Flea Market which was completely white which is why I chose that for the base color of my project, as well as the fake haunted house blood everywhere, the red was used. I had made this structure after a foam board for a reason as well. This is because while I was getting to know Adam, I used to play around and take his fake machette away which was made out of foam, and I would hide it from him like he would do to my knife. I had used red thread to not only symbolize blood but also to resemble the fact that both of us wore masks and since I had worked there for three years, many people came to me and had me put on their makeup and fix objects that were damaged, like Adam's mask which I had to sew together at one point. The shape of this project was also made for a specific reason. Its kite-like structure was to resemble the mask itself as well as an actual kite to show how Adam raises me up and keeps me up like the wind and kite, especially after my previous relationship, and also how Adam makes my heart soar. 

Sketches
 

No comments:

Post a Comment